Our sweetie pies

Our sweetie pies

Friday, November 27, 2015

November is Diabetes Awareness Month


November is diabetes awareness month.  Here are our two children that live it everyday.  Never a break.  24 hours.  I knew nothing about diabetes when our daughter was diagnosed five years ago.  I didn't even know what an endocrinologist was.  I thought she had a bladder infection because she kept using the bathroom.  but then she was tired and losing weight,  The doctor did a urine analysis and immediately arranged for her to go to the hospital.  I was blind sided to say the least.

Our son became really thirsty two years later.  I thought it must be a cold or the hot weather.  But then I watched him drink a full glass of orange juice, then milk, then water, then he threw up.  I finally got brave enough to use her meter and check his blood sugar.  He registered high glucose which means over 600.  Normal is around 100 or less.  Such heaviness.  I called her endo and again we made a quick drive to the hospital late at night.  Our daughter was excited for him.  she would have a diabetes buddy.  she was only five.  In her innocence she was excited for him.

We pray that our diagnosis stop at two.  But our odds are high for another child to be diagnosed.  We worry when anyone is thirsty.  We didn't ask for this but here we are.  We love them and wouldn't trade them for anything.  and yes, life goes on.  thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment